Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Animal Farm Connections and Questions

When finishing Animal Farm, I came to know a couple solid connections and a few questions that I feel you should know and that I should know. First off, how in the world did no animal at all express their feelings and thoughts to the others? I mean, seriously, the book hinted at at least three of the characters raising suspicion to the pigs and their tyranny. Throughout the book, they gradually broke all seven commandments and replaced the summarized version with something that only benefitted themselves. I can see, however, that no animal could read to well except for Clover and Benjamin, and even they seemed frightened at speaking against the pigs. To my surprise, Napoleon played their cards just right. Blaming problems on Snowball, making the litter of nine pups his slaves, and quelling every complaint by making Boxer who was one of the role models for everyone think that Napoleon was right all were very well ahead planned moves. It seems that the book ended a little to fast for me. Containing some irony in it as well, I enjoyed seeing that the image of human and pig kind of blended together and that it kind of hinted that the animals were ashamed that they had been led astray. I felt that the saddest part in the book is when everyone forgot about Boxer excluding Benjamin and Clover who had known him well. But the sad part is when it described that Benjamin, the goat who hadn't changed ever, became even more depressed due to Boxers really bloody death. Even for Napoleon, isn't sending someone to be made into glue a little on the harsh side? One major question I would like to have answered would be why the author chose pigs as the people who treated others like they were inferior. They are dirty and maniacal, but was there another motive for the choice? When blaming Snowball for everything, I found it interesting that although Napoleon had been the one to drive him out, he still used Snowball to his advantage. After all, he did use him to terrorize the other animals into fear and hatred for any one who opposed animal farm. Using Snowball to his advantage, anything that Napoleon messed up convinced the animals that it had been in fact Snowball who had done it out of hatred for the farm. Running the operation very well, I found it interesting at how Napoleon had manipulated the other animals into doing his dirty work. Using Majors principals and beliefs, he made the animals think that they were working for themselves and only themselves when in reality it was they who had been tricked. When reading the book, I had a sneaking suspicion at the beginning that all was't going to be happy rainbows and unicorns all over the place as an ending. When finished, I looked back and realized I had completely called the ending when the pigs had taken the milk for themselves and had tricked the animals into believing a false piece of information.

9 comments:

  1. I think that you made some really good points. I liked the descriptiveness of the blog post, but it was kind of all over the place, if you know what I mean. It talked about this, and then it jumped to that, and so on. What were the 'Solid connections' you mentioned at the beginning of the blog? I could not figure those out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One word to discribe this, amazinglywelldonedeservesana+greatconnectionsandsayingwhatyouwerethinkingatthattimeinthestorywasagreatidea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sensing that you have a small hatred for Napoleon and sympathy for Snowball. You reference that Napoleon took away the puppies and made them his slaves. You also said that he blamed Snowball for all of his mess ups. It seems to me that you create your whole post around the idea that Napoleon was bad and Snowball was innocent. I'm not saying that you're right or wrong, I'm just wondering why? Why did you pick Napoleon to make your post around? Surely you could have picked someone like Boxer or Snowball. So I ask you Carter...why?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with PlatinumX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the point you made about the feelings the animals had when they saw the pigs at the end. When the animals saw them they realized the pigs had taken pretty much everything from them. I also think that Snowball was less likely to change all the rules or at least he would change them at a slower and a very careful rate. Napoleon saw Snowball as a road block, he wanted to be ruler so he got rid of Snowball and blamed everything on him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well carter I thought you did a very nice job with the organization and quality of this blog. I completely understand where you are coming from with Napoleon being the central 'bad guy' topic of your article as in mine I related him to that of hitler during World War Two and the nazi takeover of Europe in ways where he 1.) he got the general public to do his dirty work and believe everything he said to them with his intangible persuasion skill in his voice. 2.). He had very harsh punishment tactics and ruled by force once he reached the top. 3.). He had squealer act as his 'Benito Mussolini' who basically convicted everyone to follow his way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the author chose the pigs to represent them for the fact that they are pigs dirty squeeling rolling in mud pigs to represent the bad as in the communist party

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've gotten some interesting comments on here. From your choice of vocabulary I sense a real anger / frustration not only in Napoleon's manipulation, but in the way the other animals almost allowed themselves to be manipulated (not asking questions). I understand most of the other posts though I think it's clear that Napoleon just got the brunt of your frustration, but I think Eathan's connection to the Nazis is a good one in that there were many Germans who let themselves be swayed either by fear, Hitler's charisma or just plain old mob mentality. It's easy to ask questions in hind sight...
    This was well done, though I would like to have seen more text to ?? conections and also some direct quotes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete