Search This Blog

Monday, April 7, 2014

The Maze Runner 1/2

As I started to read the book, I loved how Thomas was frustrated with the ENTIRE topic of the maze and how no one would explain it. But when he finally would get someone to explain something to him, it would cause even more questions to bubble up that would cause even more questions. About 80-90 pages into the book, I feel like he finally started to realize that the maze was his new home, and that he needed to just get used to the gladers, grievers, and routine around the Glade. Excerpt : "The second hour was actually spent working with the farm animals-- feeding, cleaning, fixing a fence, scraping up klunk. Klunk. Thomas found himself using the Glader terms more and more."
Then, when Teresa comes in through the box, all of the boys are gathered around, waiting for someone to make a move. Then Teresa sits up, bright as day, and then spouts some random nonsense that says that everything is going to change. The note in her hand says that she's the last one ever, and that no one else will be sent to the Glade. Everyone stares in silence at the girl, and then some kid in the crowd says, "Who said Clint had first shot at her?" as if they were calling dibs on a girl right after she has practically sentenced you to death. Is it just me, or do some of the gladers seem kind of complacent with knowing they have been sentenced into a maze that evil creatures come out of and that the only thing protecting them is a wall. If I were one of them, I'd be prepared to do whatever it takes to get the heck out of the thing that keeps you safe but not safe at the same time. Too me, when I use the feminist/gender theory on this part of the book, I see how really only one gender is represented here. If you look close enough, you see that the only girl in the glade is represented as some sort of traumatic moment to further develop Thomas's, Newt's, and Alby's relationship as well as the rest of the gladers.
One of the things that really helps me to define Thomas personality and character is when he's seen the greivers, a creepy, green, metallic monster that will prick you with a needle that will kill you in mere hours if you don't get a serum. And the serum, the thing that saves you but makes you go looney, have spasms, and feel pain like no one has ever felt. Seriously, Thomas is either an idiot who knows no fear, or he has no fear and is one of the most fearless men I have ever read about. If I were Thomas, I would run straight to the slammer and lock myself in there, knowing good and well I would die of starvation, loss of sanity, or dehydration. But seriously, which way would you rather go? Get stabbed with really pointy needles and then have a chance of living by ways of a painful serum, or would you rather die peacefully but hungry, thirsty, or insane?

No comments:

Post a Comment